runs away with us leaving our memories blurry and fuzzy... The last 4.5 years have been exhilarating. Challenging, frustrating, joyous and emotional. The inner journey continues as we grow with our girls and they show us as we try to show them the path ahead. I get time these days where I can not feel to guilty about spending time on the computer as the girls play. I have avoided computer time as much as possible over the years as we have embarked upon a Waldorf inspired approach in our home. But as they grow and as I have grown in these last few years I feel I am reaching (as temporary as it may be) a balance of understanding as to how much Waldorf can be apart of our home along side all the other aspects of our life. We are never going to be, and I am not sure I want to be, a pure example of a Waldorf home, but certainly aspects of it are very much a part of our life. But this has been an inner battle for me as I struggle to control the very strong need in me to do things by the book, whichever book that may be. I am slowly easing up and realising that all methods have things to offer and being able to incorporate what suits us and the girls is the key, not getting tied up with the should or should nots of one particular path. So you can say this is a small part of my journey over the past year or so especially. I hope that I can continue this blog as a journal of our life that will help us look back and see where we were and where we are travelling. I have been wanting to do this in my head for a while but somehow have not been able to focus. Today has been a day that has inspired me finally to get down to it! 'Stop thinking about it and start doing it' is a moto I definitely need to try to start living by.
As much as I try to incorporate Waldorf into our life there is a very free flowing energy in our home. We very often do things spontaneously and love to try to be out in the fresh air in the outdoors doing something or the other. As the girls are still small and we still have lots of time before anything like 'school' begins we really take each day as it comes. There is heaps of free play and of late I have let go a little bit of the daily activities. But I go in phases, when the energy renews and I feel the girls need a little more focused time we begin again with our daily activities of either, baking, painting, modelling or craft. In some ways we have quite an unschooled approach these days which is free. Lots of free play and as much time on our cycles taking trips as we can muster the energy.
So what was so special about today....... Well Amin has been talking about a cycling route he has been taking and yesterday he gave us a quick taster of it from the back of his Enfield motorbike. But today we decided to would take the cycles. So with both the tag-a-longs attached some bits for a picnic, our picnic blankets and water we set out at 11.30am. Later than we had hoped, but hey, getting out the house quickly and early has never been our strong point! We set off and after the first 20mins we stopped for a quick snack of lovely Poha and pomegranate.
He took us to his ripe strawberry fields and the girls loved picking the blood red ripe strawberries. We admired his maize fields littered with freshly growing french beans, Sky and Summers favourite vegetables! and wild tomato plants that littered the edges of the fields with beautiful green tomatoes ready to ripen. It was magical and we rested here a while.
Then we continued up and down the lanes, (the cycle was tough!) when we happened upon a flock of sheep and goats with their Shepard's. There were lambs and kids all tied to a rope to stop them running after their mothers as they fed in the long grasses and two adorable puppies that loved to play with the girls and also cuddle up to their sheep friends! It was a sight. We enjoyed understanding why the lambs and kids were tied up all bleating for their mothers milk. We must have spent an hour playing with them when we continued our course until we happened upon the base of the nomadic shepherds.
No comments:
Post a Comment